The Barbeque Chicken Pizza That Isn’t a Pizza is such a good story. Do you have your tasty beverage beside you? Good. Here goes.
There’s a famous pizza chain that is known for it’s chicken pizza with barbeque sauce. They may have even invented it, who knows? But God love those Pampered Chef test kitchen gurus (they’re all professional chefs and home economists by the way), they came up with a Pampered Chef version – and it’s made on the grill! Oh yes! Barbequed Barbeque Chicken Pizza.
You can see the original recipe here and make it on our BBQ Pizza Pan. And there’s also an indoor oven version called Smoky Barbecue Chicken Pizza which you can get here. Of course for the indoor version, a flat round stone is perfect. And if you want to make your own home-made barbeque sauce I’ve got a recipe for that here. But I digress.
The Smoky Barbecue Chicken Pizza is one of my most popular pins on Pinterest. At one point, it was getting repinned so often it just made me have a really bad case of the munchies whenever I was on Pinterest and saw how popular it is. But I had to create a version for my grain-free kitchen that didn’t have a crust or one that had a crust without grain (watch for that post – I’m working on that recipe!).
So grain-free, crust free pizza it was. My daughter often helps me develop recipes, we bounce ideas off each other and talk it out until we have an idea that makes us both so hungry we have to run to the kitchen or the grocery store with our mouths watering. We talked it out and decided to do a mashup of the above recipes with Touchdown Taco Dip (a favorite Pampered Chef classic recipe from way back). The key from the dip recipe was the cream cheese layer.
We grabbed the Deep Covered Baker and started creating something new a la Dr. Frankenstein. We used three chicken breasts in the baker sprinkled with Smoky Barbecue Rub, 6 minutes on high, turned the chicken over, sprinkled other side with more rub, 6 more minutes and the chicken was done. See how easy?! Then the shears, double shears! Pampered Chef calls it the Salad Chopper but wait til you see what these puppies can do. Lettuce, no problem. Hot chicken? Like buttah.
Then the vegetables and other ingredients.
And the gooey layer.
Stir half of the barbeque sauce into the chopped chicken. Add the vegetables.
Once chicken and vegetables are combined, top with cream cheese, and remaining barbeque sauce.
Then, top all with the grated cheddar.
To serve, place a pineapple slice (or two) on a plate and top with hot chicken mixture. You can serve with additional barbeque sauce on the side if you like. Enjoy!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Smoky Barbecue Rub
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup barbeque sauce, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- Place chicken in Deep Covered Baker, sprinkle with Smoky Barbecue Rub, cover. Microwave on high 6 minutes, carefully remove cover and turn breasts over. Sprinkle other side with more rub, cover and microwave on high for 6 more minutes (microwave ovens vary).
- Using Salad Chopper, shred chicken into bite sized pieces and stir in half of the barbeque sauce. Add red onion and green pepper, stir to combine.
- Microwave cream cheese for 30 seconds to soften. Press garlic into cream cheese with garlic press. Stir to thoroughly combine. Spread cream cheese on top of chicken. Spread remaining barbeque sauce over cream cheese. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Cover Deep Covered Baker and microwave for 10-12 minutes or until heated through and cheddar cheese is melted and bubbling.
- To serve, place 1 or 2 pineapple ring(s) on plate and top with chicken mixture. Enjoy!