Making jellied cranberry sauce is easy and allows you to create a condiment that doesn’t contain the awful sweeteners used in the canned version. This sugar free recipe allows you to enjoy cranberry sauce with no corn syrup, no high fructose corn syrup and no other additives or artificial sweeteners. Making this version in the Pampered Chef Deluxe Cooking Blender allows you to process the mixture without stirring or standing over the stove. Also, when making traditional cooked cranberry sauce, the mixture can splatter you or your clothes while it’s boiling. Therefore, containing the splatter saves you from figuring out how to get cranberry stains out of your clothes.
Cranberries are naturally high in pectin, however, my recipe didn’t set to the consistency I was looking for (similar to the canned version) until I added a large amount of gelatin. I developed this recipe because I like the flavor of the canned version but I cannot eat the ingredients that are added, especially the sweeteners. Over the years, I have used homemade cranberry sauce in various forms, most of them chunky. But to me, there’s just nothing so nostalgic as the jellied cranberry sauce from a can, ridges and all, sliced into circular slabs. Therefore, I’m thrilled that I was able to recreate that with this recipe and share it with you.
- 4 cups fresh cranberries (washed and sorted)
- 1 16 oz. bottle pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 1 navel orange, juiced (approx. 1/2 cup juice)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 4 packets gelatin
- Place cranberries, pomegranate juice, xylitol and orange zest if using in blender jar and secure lid. Set Deluxe Cooking Blender to "Jam" setting and press start.
- Place orange juice in Small Batter Bowl and sprinkle gelatin over juice and briefly whisk to wet all of the powdered gelatin.
- When blending pauses and screen reads "Add", press "Cancel" and carefully remove lid (there will be steam). Carefully spoon bloomed gelatin/orange juice mixture into cranberry mixture making sure not to splash yourself with the hot cranberry mixture. Replace and secure lid.
- Pulse blender briefly to incorporate gelatin and completely blend mixture. Turn off blender, remove lid and then remove blender jar from base.
- Pour or ladle cranberry sauce through a fine mesh sieve to catch any bits of undissolved gelatin. Pour or ladle cranberry sauce into molds and refrigerate until set. Use a lightly oiled muffin pan, small tart molds, or a nice round bowl to make pretty shapes.
- Un-mold when set by briefly dipping your pan or molds in warm water to loosen, then turn out onto a serving plate or platter. Enjoy!
- I have only made this recipe with xylitol. I cannot judge amount nor results with any other sweetener. If you cannot tolerate xylitol or you have pets and cannot have xylitol in your home, feel free to experiment with other sweeteners. The pomegranate juice adds a bit of sweetness also so adjust other sweeteners accordingly.
Enjoy this beautiful jewel colored treat with your next turkey dinner, or just because.